Merchants can go into the Settlement app on the Poynt Smart Terminal and settle their transactions daily/nightly. Here is how the settlement process works for your merchant:
1. Your merchant has to tap into the Settlement app on the device.
2. Tap into the “Transactions” button, which shows all of the open transactions for the day in these categories: “open batch” and “pending tip” and “auth-only”.
- Open Batch - these transactions require no further action from the merchant and will be settled once the batch is closed. You may “Void” a transaction from this tab if necessary.
- Pending Tips - these transactions indicate transactions which no tip was collected at the time of swipe and may need to have Tip Amounts entered (if customer wrote a tip on a paper receipt).
- Auth-Only - these transactions indicate those which the merchant chose to perform only an authorization at the time of swipe (ie delayed inventory), and require merchants to manually indicate when the Auth-Only is ready to be captured (also known as force-post).
3. If there is a tip amount, tap directly into the transaction edit button, and add the appropriate tip amount. Tap on the “Add to Batch” button. All of these tip-adjusted transactions are added to the Open Batch tab.
4. If there is no tips to add to the Pending-Tips transactions on this tab, then you can select “No tip to all”. Alternatively, once you tip-adjust the transactions which have tip amounts, for the remaining transactions in the Pending Tips tab which have no tips, then you can tap “No tip to all” (this makes it easier than entering $0 tip amounts for a long list of pending tips transactions).
5. If there is an Auth-Only ready to be captured, then tap the “Close” button which indicates merchant would like to mark the transaction as ready to be captured. (For tip-enabled merchants, you can also enter Tip-Adjust at the time of tapping “Close”.) Confirming will then add the transaction to the Open Batch tab. Note: if there are other auth-only transactions not-yet-ready to be captured, then leave those transactions in the Auth-Only tab.
6. Once you have reviewed all of the transactions in “Pending Tips” or “Auth-Only”, tap on “Review” which is the option on the top right-hand side.
7. If there are any pending open transactions (either in the Pending Tips or Auth-Only tabs), a warning message will be presented at the bottom of the screen with the total amount that is pending and this amount will not be included in the settlement batch and processed. Only those transactions in the Open Batch tab will be submitted for processing once the batch is closed.
8. Once you have reviewed all transactions, please tap on the green “Settle Open Batch” button
9. Once you tap on “Settle Open Batch”, the terminal will display a batch Settlement Report summary after a short period of time.